1. Grand Funk Railroad began in
Grand Canary Islands
Coney Island, NY
2. The name Grand Funk Railroad comes from
a Michigan landmark, "The Grand Trunk Western Railroad"
the band likes to "get funky" on trains
because the drummer was born on a train going from WA, DC to Kansas City, MO
the name of the train station in the game Monopoly
3. What was the name of Don's first band? (Started at the age of 12)
The Red Devils
Boy Scout Jamboree
The Blue Angels
4. Don became a singing drummer in what local band, before Grand Funk Railroad?
The Jazz Masters, later called The Pack, then Terry Knight and the Pack
The Brew Masters
5. In 1970 Grand Funk Railroad had sold more albums than any other American band, and went on to break the Beatles' record at what venue in 1971 (selling it out in 72 hours).
The Avon Bowl
Agoraphobic's Anonymous Monthly Meeting
Grand Central Station
6. In the 1980’s Don performed with what band for two tours, (the second in 1987 being the largest grossing tour of that decade).
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Cheech & Chong
Flock Of Seagulls
7. How many gold and platinum albums does Don have with Grand Funk Railroad?
12 gold and 10 platinum albums
0 gold and 0 platinum albums
1 gold and 278 platinum albums
Wow! They sold that many records?
8. Besides playing drums, Don also writes and sings. What are some of the songs Don sings / plays?
"We’re An American Band", "Shinin’ On", "Walk Like a Man". He is also singing lead on the hit recording "Some Kinda Wonderful".
"We're A Funky Garage Band", "Shine On Harvest Moon", "Walk Like Ya Gotta Load In Your Drawers". He is also singing lead on the hit recording "Some Kinda Loser".
No purchase necessary to enter or win. Entries must be received at DrumsOnTheWeb@aol.com by 12 midnite (EST) October 31, 2001. Only 1 correct entry per address will be accepted.
Winners will be randomly chosen from the correct entries received. Winners will be notified via email and announced in the November, 2001 issue of the DrumsOnTheWeb.com free monthly email newsletter.
4 winners will receive 1 autographed Don Brewer Live at the Modern Drummer Festival 2000 video, to be shipped in November, 2001 by Hudson Music. Customs duties, if applicable to be paid by winner.
Be assured that all information is kept strictly confidential! Your info will not be shared with anyone.
This contest is made possible by the great folks at
* Thanks to Diane & Dylan for the "oh so wrong" answers!