1. Cozy Cole was the definitive example of a drummer who directly applied the:
rudimental approach to jazz
paint to my house in 1953
pythagorean theory to symphonic triangle playing
first tatoo to his front bass drum head
2. Beginning in 1959, Sunny Murray became a key member of what "movement" as a member of Cecil Taylor's group?
"radical levitation movement"
3. Chico Hamilton was the among the first drummers to use:
fur-lined drum throne
his cat "Frisky" as a dampener for his bass drum
4. What was unique about Ed Shaughnessy's double-bass setup?
one bass drum was smaller than the other
they were made out of bologna
he used skins crafted out of Bazooka Joe wrappers
he retrofitted 2 upright basses with dental floss
5. Elvin Jones will forever be remembered as one of the most innovative percussionists who ever played, mainly by way of his work with the legendary:
John Coltrane Quartet
Elvin & The Chipmunks
Mike Bike & the Kickstands
Snotty Scotty & The Hankies
6. Sonny Payne is best known for his work with:
Count Basie's band
Grand Master Flash and The Furious Five
Sniff & The Tears
7. Sam Woodyard was an indispensable member of:
Duke Ellington's band
Earth Wind & Fire
Big Brother & The Holding Company
Frank Zappa & The Mothers
8. Joe Morello reached international fame via his work with The Dave Brubeck Quartet from 1956 to 1967, and during that time became a household name as the soloist on what Brubeck recording (said to be the only million-selling jazz "single" ever made.)
In The Year 2525
9. As a soloist, accompanist and leader of the incomparable Jazz Messengers for over 40 years, Art Blakey was the complete "hard bop" drummer and perhaps the first to
effectively combine African rhythms with traditional jazz drumming
effectively combine 12-bar blues with syncopated rhythms
effectively combine a jewish harp and a kazoo
effectively combine peanut butter and chocolate
10. Rufus Jones was possibly the fastest drummer who ever played, hence his nickname:
"Rags To Rufus"
"The Catis On The Hot Tinnis Roofus"
11. Louie Bellson pioneered the use of:
two bass drums
two drum sticks at the same time
having a note from his mom so he could practice late
unrecognizable lyrics to such songs as "Louie, Louie"
12. Gene Krupa said that Buddy Rich was "the greatest drummer ever to...
"draw cartoons on his drumkit"
"draw the line"
"pull up his drawers"
No purchase necessary to enter or win. Entries must be received at DrumsOnTheWeb@aol.com by 12 midnite (EST) January 31, 2002. Only 1 correct entry per address will be accepted.
Winners will be randomly chosen from the correct entries received. Winners will be notified via email and announced in the February, 2002 issue of the DrumsOnTheWeb.com free monthly email newsletter.
3 winners will receive 1 Classic Drum Solos dvd, to be shipped in February, 2002 by Hudson Music. Customs duties, if applicable to be paid by winner.
Be assured that all information is kept strictly confidential! Your info will not be shared with anyone.
This contest is made possible by the great folks at